After 29 residents of a Saskatoon apartment building were taken to hospital last week after being exposed to carbon monoxide, multiple organizations are reminding residents about safety precautions.
SaskEnergy, the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) and SaskPower are sharing important steps with residents to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, tasteless, odourless, and poisonous gas. It can have deadly effects. A low exposure to the gas can cause flu-like symptoms. Continued exposure at high levels results in unconsciousness, convulsions, brain damage, and in worst cases can be fatal.
Important steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- have all fuel-burning appliances inspected by a licensed carbon monoxide contractor every year;
- conduct regular inspections of your chimneys and vents to ensure they are clear of debris or ice/snow buildup; and
- ensure you have working carbon monoxide alarms in your home to alert you to danger before the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning appear.
SaskEnergy has partnered with stores across the province to offer a $10 rebate on the purchase of carbon monoxide alarms. The point of sale rebate came into effect in Nov. 2020 and expires on Jan. 31, 2021. www.saskenergy.com has a list of participating store locations.
For more safety information, visit www.saskenergy.com/safety/CarbonMonoxide.asp or https://www.saskpower.com/Safety/Gas-Safety/Dangers-of-Carbon-Monoxide.
–with files from Amanda Short, Saskatoon Star Phoenix