Police car rolls after being rammed in Wednesday chase

Officer treated for minor injuries, 25-year-old man arrested after chase ends about 10 km west of Prince Albert

A police officer was treated for minor injuries and a 25-year-old man was arrested after the suspect allegedly rammed the officer during a pursuit on Sept. 18, 2019, causing the police vehicle to roll into a ditch about 10 km west of the city on Highway 3. (Peter Lozinski/Daily Herald)

One officer has been released from the hospital and a 25-year-old man is in custody following a police chase that ended about 10 km west of the city Wednesday.

The Prince Albert Police Service responded to a report of a vehicle theft in progress shortly after 6 p.m. in the 1300 Block of Seventh Street East. According to a press release, when officers attempted a traffic stop on the suspected stolen vehicle, the driver sped off, driving aggressively and attempting to ram several police vehicles.

A pursuit began, continuing outside of the city westbound onto Highway 3. The chase ended just west of the Satellite station, near the turnoff to the Prince Albert rifle and pistol range, after the suspect rammed a police car, causing the officer’s vehicle to roll in the ditch.

Black tire marks could be seen leading from the westbound lane of Highway 3 to the ditch where the police vehicle lay on its side, its front window smashed and front end bent out of shape. At least four other police vehicles were present on the scene.

The officer who was in the damaged vehicle was taken to the hospital with what Parkland Ambulance described as minor injuries. He was treated and released.

A 25-year-old man was arrested at the scene on several outstanding warrants and a breach of a recognizance related to charges from July 18 of failing to stop for police, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and possession of stolen property over $5,000. He will make his first court appearance Friday on several charges related to Wednesday’s incident.

Police are looking for information about a second man who is believed to be involved in the original vehicle theft. Anyone with information, or video surveillance from the area, is asked to contact police at 306-983-4222 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Prince Albert Police Chief Jon Bergen Tweeted a supportive message to officers Wednesday evening, praising C Platoon for pulling together “as an invincible team committed to each other’s safety.”

Speaking to the Herald Thursday afternoon, Bergen said the platoon was just beginning its shift when the incident took place.

“They were scheduled to be on until 7 a.m. They dealt with this extreme situation … and they continued to serve the public through the night and continued to respond to serious incidents and various reports of crime,” he said.

“(They) carried on with their duties, even after they had experienced such a traumatic incident. That speaks to the quality and character of our staff.”

Bergen said patrol units become very close. They’re made up of 12 members spending the year, or sometimes multiple years, working together.

“They become very close. When there’s someone in harm or injured, the whole team feels that Bergen said.

‘So does the police service, and that extends out into the community.”

Bergen called the rollover “a very scary situation for our staff… (fearing) injury to one of our own.”

The police service said they will review the pursuit internally as per normal practice.