A teenage boy is deceased following what RCMP have deemed a murder-suicide in Candle Lake over the weekend.
According to a Monday news release, Saskatchewan RCMP received a report just before 10 p.m. on Saturday that someone inside of a home on Industrial Drive had been shot.
Prince Albert, Smeaton and Nipawin officers responded to the call. They located a 14-year-old boy with gunshot wounds, who was declared deceased on scene. Three other people were inside of the house at the time.
An initial investigation determined that an armed 49-year-old man was assaulting a woman when others intervened. The release said this is when the 14-year-old was shot.
A man, an occupant of the home, was able to disarm the suspect. The 49-year-old immediately fled.
The other people involved in the altercation were left with minor injuries and were escorted to a safe location. Police seized the firearm and secured the scene, but after investigation, determined that there was no risk or danger to other Candle Lake residents.
Police believed the 49-year-old suspect was at a home located on Steen Place in Candle Lake. The Saskatchewan RCMP Emergency Response Team, along with Saskatchewan RCMP Police Dog Services, Saskatchewan Conservation Officers and the Saskatoon Police Service aircraft, all responded to the scene.
At about 6 a.m. on Sunday, the suspect was found deceased with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. There were no other people inside of the house.
An RCMP spokesperson confirmed that the 49-year-old and the 14-year-old knew each other, but that the incident was neither random nor targeted. The teenager is considered a victim of homicide, said the spokesperson.
No one will be charged.
In a statement posted to a Candle Lake Facebook page, Mayor Terry Kostyna encouraged anyone affected by the incident to contact the municipal office for information on getting help.
“Our focus as a municipality is on well-being of our community. We are actively making arrangements to provide access to counselling and resources for anyone affected by these tragic events,” read the post.
A previous post on Sunday to the same Facebook page informed residents that there was no threat to public safety.
RCMP say next-of-kin have been notified of the deaths and offered victim services. The Saskatchewan Coroner’s Service conducted autopsies on Monday.
Police still had both homes blocked off as of Monday in order to conduct a thorough investigation.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include more information from the RCMP.