Prince Albert to host field lacrosse provincials in June

Lucas Punkari/Daily Herald Wyatt Mastracjuk of the Sturgis Trojans tries to slow Braden Shewchuk of the Prince Albert Attack Under-15 team at Max Clunie Field last June.

Prime Minsters Park will feature some of the top field lacrosse players in Saskatchewan later this spring.

The Prince Albert Lacrosse Association will serve as the hosts for the 2020 Saskatchewan Field Lacrosse provincial championships, which will run from June 12-14.

“We found out that we would be hosting just before Christmas at the Saskatchewan Lacrosse meetings, so it was a nice early Christmas present for sure,” Prince Albert Lacrosse Association president Javan Bexson said.

“Our players are really excited about being the hosts for the events. We think it’s going to be a great showcase for the talent that we have in Prince Alberta and the entire province, in addition to helping to further grow the sport here.”

The Prince Albert Attack U15 and U18 programs hosted their first tournament at Max Clunie Field last June, as they welcomed teams from Sturgis and Yorkton for a two-day event.

“Not only was it a good tune-up for us ahead of the provincials last year in Sturgis, but it also allowed us to test out the facilities before we submitted our bid for this year’s provincials,” Bexson said.

“It (the provincials) will be a huge expansion compared to that tournament as we welcome the U13 teams to town. We’ll be utilizing the Prime Minsters Park East Field and the soccer field behind it, so it will be nice to have a venue where we can have all three age groups in the same facility.”

The full provincial field will be finalized in the next few months, but Bexson is expecting between 16 and 20 teams to compete in Prince Albert.

“There were 16 teams at last year’s provincials so we’re hoping to get the same numbers, in addition to the chance of some new teams from Estevan, Moose Jaw and Weyburn,” Bexson said.

“Our competitive teams have been going all winter in an indoor camp and we’ll probably get going outside once we get clearance from the city, which we expect to come in April.”

Registration for the 2020 minor lacrosse season is already underway online, with in-person registration and a try lacrosse night set for March 13 and 20 from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Alfred Jenkins Field House.

For more information on the provincials and the upcoming campaign, visit www.palax.ca.