While she would call her 2019 season a bit of an inconsistent one, Kim Brown has enjoyed a lot of success on the courses she grew up playing on.
The Prince Albert product, who now calls Saskatoon home, captured her third straight Ladies’ Lobstick title and her fourth in the last five years on Friday as she defeated Kathy Ziglo in the championship flight final.
“I played at Cooke all the time as I was growing up and then we’d come up here to Waskesiu,” said Brown, who also won her fourth straight Ladies’ Northern title at Cooke earlier this summer.
“I’m always comfortable playing at both places and I find myself in a happy place at both courses. I enjoy every minute of playing them.”
Although Brown went three up after seven holes in the final, Friday’s round was anything but easy as Ziglo was able to close in within one hole after making back-to-back pars on the 11th and 12th holes.
“Kathy’s a great competitor and you can’t let up for a second against her,” said Brown, who defeated junior champion Brooklin Fry and Abra Thompson to reach the final.
“I was just trying to stay steady, make pars and hit good shots during the entire round. I was striking the ball well off of the tee this week and I think that was the biggest difference in the end.”
Ziglo, who previously won the tournament in 2012 and 2014, was unable to close the gap any further as Brown regained her two-hole advantage with a par on the 14th hole and held that lead until the match concluded on the 17th hole.
“I had a little bit of an opening there after the 12th but I just wasn’t as crisp out there as I had been all week,” said Ziglo, who advanced to the final after defeating Pauline McDougall and Beth Davis.
“I made one birdie out there but that’s not enough when you are playing someone as good as Kim is. You need to make pars and birdies against her and I just had a few too many bogeys today.”
The rest of Friday’s final round results are as follows:
- Championship Flight Consolation: Hannah MacNeil over Brooklin Fry
- First Flight: Denise Hersikorn over Tammy Bezaire
- First Flight Consolation: Cheryl Reichel over Veronika Duchscherer
- Second Flight: Dianna Sutton over Charene Kozak
- Second Flight Consolation: Carol Spanks over Donna Morin
- Third Flight: Arlene Segin over Heather Torrie
- Third Flight Consolation: Kelly Krienke over Sherry Anderson
- Fourth Flight: Marg Ravis over Linda Broad
- Fourth Flight Consolation: Deb Thierman over Clair Banting
- Fifth Flight: Jan Mitchell over Joyce Bowers
- Fifth Flight Consolation: Lorna Gilbert over Eileen McGill
- Sixth Flight: Patti Krafchuk over Sandy Penkala
- Sixth Flight Consolation: Chris Harnett over Donna Gottselig
- Seventh Flight: Mary Page over Donna Dyck
- Seventh Flight Consolation: Laurel Arnason over Jane Hiebert
- Eighth Flight: Jeanette Bear over Bonnie Russell
- Eighth Flight Consolation: Adriana Lacoursiere over Natasha Gillert
- Ninth Flight: Elin Sletmoen over Barbara McKay
- Ninth Flight Consolation: Luella Venables over Kathleen Chipperfield
- 10th Flight: Tracy Blair over Sharon Sullivan
- 10th Flight Consolation: Sheree Selin over Cheryl Waslen
- 11th Flight: Terri Kachur over Colleen Davidson
- 11th Flight Consolation: Nikki McGregor over Bernice Paulhus