Bailey Sutherland, Daily Herald
STARS Air Ambulance made the final draws of the 2019 lottery on August 1st and many supporters were surprised with the exciting news that they had won, including one from Prince Albert and one from Spiritwood.
The lottery finished strong, selling out nine days prior to the July 18 deadline. It raised approximately $2.5 million net for the non-profit, with 2,016 prizes worth more than $4.1 million retail.
Fred Matiko, lottery lead for the STARS Foundation said the final draws are one of his favourite days of the year at STARS.
“It’s a great pleasure to make these often life-changing calls to the lottery winners,” said Matiko. “And it’s an honour to thank the winners for their support of our lottery, which is our largest fundraiser of the year and critical to the operation of our service for the people of the province.”
Top prize winners include:
· $1.5 million Saskatoon area show home – Gary Woit, Mossbank
· $1.5 million Regina area show home – Cheryl Schnell, Regina
· Lucky STARS 50/50, payout of $875,000 cash – Wally Penner, Saskatoon
· Early Bird Ultimate Adventure Prize Package – Blair and Taryl Kalesnikoff, Regina
· 2019 VW Tiguan OR 2019 GMC Terrain Denali OR $45,000 cash – Pat Holtkamp, Yorkton
· 2019 Jeep Cherokee North 4×4 OR 2019 Chev Equinox AWD OR $35,000 cash – Richard Rasmussen, Saskatoon
· 2019 VW Beetle OR 2019 Chev Trax AWD OR $30,000 cash – Mitchell Froyman, Herbert
· Sensational Spain, two adults, nine days OR $8,000 travel voucher – Don and Donna Bowes, Kamsack
· European Dream, two adults, seven days OR $5,000 travel voucher – Kenina and Don York, Saskatoon
· Ultimate Sports Trip, two adults, six days OR $3,500 travel voucher – Brian Zaleschuk, Prince Albert
· New York Adventure, two adults, five days OR $3,250 travel voucher – Lyle Craig, Churchbridge
· Cuban Comfort, two adults, seven days OR $3,000 travel voucher – Ed and Myrna Wilson, Macrorie
· STARS flight for two – Gary and Linda Grant, Saskatoon
· STARS flight for two – Betty Hall, Spiritwood
· $5,000 cash – Lawrence Drozda, Regina
Cindy Seidl, provincial director of Saskatchewan operations, made some of the memorable phone calls Thursday morning to inform the Saskatchewan residents of their winnings.
“Thanks to our strong supporters in the community, the STARS Lottery Saskatchewan once again was 100 per cent sold,” said Seidl in a press release. “Everyone who buys a ticket joins our fight to save lives. By supporting the STARS lottery for the past eight years, you have continued to fuel our passion and innovation as we deliver vital care to critically ill and injured people across Saskatchewan.”
For general information about the STARS lottery and for a complete list of winners, visit STARSLotterySaskatchewan.ca. The lottery license number is LR18-0113