Raiders teammate Brook not named to final roster
For the first time in two decades, a pair of Prince Albert Raiders will play for Canada at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.
Defenceman Kaiden Guhle and forward Ozzy Wiesblatt were both named to the 22-man roster for this year’s tournament on Tuesday afternoon following a five-day selection camp in Calgary.
The last Raiders teammates to play for Canada were Scott Hartnell and Nick Schultz, as they each won a gold medal for their country at the 1999 tournament in the Czech Republic.
Guhle and Wiesblatt are the first Raiders to compete at the summer showcase since goaltender Ian Scott in 2016.
This marks the second time that the teammates have competed at an international event, as they both played at the 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Quispamsis and Saint John, N.B.
The rest of Canada’s roster for the tournament, which runs from Aug. 5-10 in Breclav, Czech Republic and Piestany, Slovakia, is as follows:
- Mavrik Bourque (Shawinigan Cataractes)
- Quinton Byfield (Sudbury Wolves)
- Will Cuylle (Windsor Spitfires)
- Jean-Luc Foudy (Windsor Spitfires)
- Ridly Grieg (Brandon Wheat Kings)
- Seth Jarvis (Portland Winterhawks)
- Hendrix Lapierre (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
- Connor McClennon (Winnipeg Ice)
- Jake Neighbours (Edmonton Oil Kings)
- Cole Perfetti (Saginaw Spirit)
- Theo Rochette (Chicoutimi Sagueneens)
- Justin Sourdif (Vancouver Giants)
- Lukas Cormier (Saint John Sea Dogs)
- Jamie Drysdale (Erie Otters)
- Daemon Hunt (Moose Jaw Warriors)
- Ryan O’Rourke (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
- Jeremie Poirier (Saint John Sea Dogs)
- Donovan Sebrango (Kitchener Rangers)
- Dylan Garand (Kamloops Blazers)
- Tristan Lennox (Saginaw Spirit)
Raiders forward Jakob Brook, who scored in Sunday’s scrimmage but did not play in Tuesday’s final game, did not make the roster.
The other players who weren’t named to the team are as follows:
- Colby Ambrosio (Tri-City Storm)
- Kyle Crnkovic (Saskatoon Blades)
- Jack Finley (Spokane Chiefs)
- Patrick Guay (Sherbrooke Phoenix)
- Ryder Korczak (Moose Jaw Warriors)
- Logan Morrison (Hamilton Bulldogs)
- Jacob Perreault (Sarnia Sting)
- Pier-Olivier Roy (Gatineau Olympiques)
- Tyler Tullio (Oshawa Generals)
- Evan Vierling (Flint Firebirds)
- Tyrel Bauer (Seattle Thunderbirds)
- Michael Benning (Sherwood Park Crusaders)
- Charlie DesRoches (Saint John Sea Dogs)
- Lleyton Moore (Oshawa Generals)
- Jake Murray (Kingston Frontenacs)
- Owen Power (Chicago Steel)
- Luke Prokop (Calgary Hitmen)
- Ronan Seeley (Everett Silvertips)
- William Villeneuve (Saint John Sea Dogs)
- Will Cranley (Ottawa 67’s)
- Joe Vrebetic (Powassan Voodoos)
Canada will open up their bid for a third straight gold medal on Monday, Aug. 5 against Finland at 7:30 a.m. in their opening game of Group A play
They will then take on Switzerland at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday before concluding their round-robin slate at 1 p.m. Wednesday against the Czech Republic.
The top two teams in each group will advance to Friday’s semifinal, with the gold medal game taking place on Saturday, Aug. 10.
All of Canada’s games will air nationally on TSN.