Two youths deceased due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

(Herald file photo)

Two youths, aged 12 and 13, died tragically Tuesday due to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Prince Albert RCMP responded to a report of an unresponsive 12-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl at about 1:40 p.m. at a residence in a recreational community served by the Prince Albert detachment.

Family told the police that the children were visiting the residence with family members and that the pair were cousins and best of friends.

When officers arrived, EMS and firefighters were already on the scene. EMS reported that the children were deceased when they arrived.

The deaths are not considered suspicious. No one else at the residence required medical treatment. The Saskatchewan Coroner’s Service is investigating.

The families are respectfully requesting privacy.

“This is an incredibly tragic incident,” the RCMP said in a press release.

“We are releasing limited details to give the families privacy during what must be an unimaginably difficult time.”