It’s a big day for the 16 teams competing at the 2019 New Holland Canadian Juniors at the Art Hauser Centre and Prince Albert Golf & Curling Club.
Tuesday marks the conclusion of games in Pool A and Pool B, with the top four teams in each group advancing into the championship pool and vying for the three spots in this weekend’s playoffs.
In the morning draw at the Art Hauser Centre, two-time defending national men’s champions and reigning world title holder Tyler Tardi improved to 5-0 in Pool A with a convincing 12-2 win over Ontario’s Samuel Sneed.
Alberta’s Desmond Young kept his playoff hopes intact with an 11-5 victory over Nunavut’s Javen Komaksiutikask and has a 3-2 record heading into a prime-time game with Tardi.
Over in the women’s event, Sarah Daniels wrapped up her round-robin with a 5-1 record after a 7-4 triumph over Northern Ontario’s Kira Brunton.
That loss puts Brunton at 2-3 for the week and in a tie with Ontario’s Thea Coburn for the fourth and final playoff spot in Pool B ahead of a head-to-head meeting between the two rinks at the Prince Albert Golf & Curling Club tonight.
Although her team was without the services of third Lauryn Kuzyk, Manitoba’s Mackenzie Zacharias improved to 5-0 after a 9-3 decision over Prince Edward Island’s Lauren Ferguson.
The other game in the draw saw Newfoundland & Labrador’s Mackenzie Glynn keep her championship pool hopes alive with a 12-5 win over Tyanna Bain of the Northwest Territories.
Standings after Draw 10
- British Columbia (Tyler Tardi) – 5-0
- Saskatchewan (Rylan Kleiter) – 4-1
- Alberta (Desmond Young) – 3-2
- Ontario (Samuel Steep) – 3-3
- Newfoundland & Labrador (Greg Blyde) – 2-3
- Yukon (Trygg Jensen) – 1-4
- Nunavut (Javen Komaksiutikask) – 0-5
- Manitoba (J.T. Ryan) – 4-0
- Nova Scotia (Graeme Weagle) – 3-1
- New Brunswick (Jack Smeltzer) – 2-2
- Northern Ontario (Tanner Horgan) – 2-2
- Quebec (Vincent Roberge) – 2-2
- Prince Edward Island (Tyler Smith) – 2-3
- Northwest Territories (Sawer Kaeser) – 0-5
- Alberta (Selena Sturmay) – 5-0
- British Columbia (Sarah Daniels) – 5-1
- Nova Scotia (Kaitlyn Jones) – 3-1
- Northern Ontario (Kira Brunton) – 2-3
- Ontario (Thea Coburn) – 2-3
- Nunavut (Sadie Pinksen) – 0-4
- Host Team (Skylar Ackerman) – 0-5
- Manitoba (Mackenzie Zacharias) – 5-0
- Quebec (Laurie St-Georges) – 4-1
- New Brunswick (Justine Comeau) – 3-1
- Saskatchewan (Sara England) – 3-2
- Newfoundland & Labrador (Mackenzie Glynn) – 2-3
- Prince Edward Island (Lauren Ferguson) – 1-5
- Northwest Territories (Tyanna Bain) – 0-6
Draw 11 Schedule – 2 p.m.
Art Hauser Centre
- Sheet A – Quebec/New Brunswick (Men’s)
- Sheet B – Nova Scotia/Alberta (Women’s)
- Sheet C – Host Team/Nunavut (Women’s)
- Sheet D – Quebec/Newfoundland & Labrador (Women’s)
- Sheet E – Northwest Territories/Northern Ontario (Men’s)
Prince Albert Golf & Curling Club
- Sheet F – Manitoba/Nova Scotia (Men’s)
- Sheet I – New Brunswick/Saskatchewan (Women’s)