PAGC to hold rally in solidarity with family of Colten Boushie

The Prince Albert Grand Council (PAGC) has announced plans to hold a rally in Prince Albert on Sunday in solidarity with the family of Colten Boushie.

The rally will begin at 4 p.m. at the Prince Albert Court of Queen’s bench, with supper and a candlelight vigil at the Senator Allen Bird Memorial Centre to follow.

The PAGC also issued a statement from Grand Chief Brian Hardlotte, who said they were devastated by the verdict, and called for an appeal and a closer assessment of the judicial process.

“If we are to build a fair and just society, then we must all stand together in solidarity and call for Canada – its legislative and executive judicial (bodies) – to expedite this change through purposeful dialogue and concrete policies on matters ranging from policing to jury selection to Indigenous representation,” Hardlotte stated. “To this end, a full public inquiry into this case, and a judicial inquest into the larger issues within the justice system, are necessary in order to achieve lasting solutions that will benefit all.”

Boushie was 22-years-old when he died on Aug. 9, 2016 after being shot by Gerald Stanley on Stanley’s farm near Biggar, Sask. Boushie and four friends had come to the farm after sustaining a flat tire while traveling to Red Pheasant First Nation. All five had been drinking.

During the trial, Stanley said he did not intend to shoot Boushie, and that he thought his gun was empty when he approach the vehicle. Stanley had already fired off two warning shots before the shooting occurred.

On Friday, Stanley was acquitted of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in connection with Boushie’s death. Upset residents have held demonstrations across the country following the verdict, including one on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.