A man convicted of sexually assaulting a pre-teen girl faced a sentencing hearing Wednesday at Prince Albert’s Court of Queen’s Bench.
Bill M. Chamakese was found guilty last month of sexual interference and sexual assault for abusing the young girl while she was aged somewhere between seven and 12. The exact dates of the offence are unclear, but the victim testified that it occurred on multiple occasions.
The girl, who cannot be named under a publication ban, was known to her abuser. He was in a position of trust when he took advantage of her.
Chamakese’s lawyer, Mary McAuley, told the court that her client still maintains his innocence. She took issue with a pre-sentence report alleging Chamakese assaulted the young girl up to four times per day. She told the Daily Herald that there was no evidence of that in the complainant’s testimony.
“When I questioned her, she changed her story on the stand,” McAuley said, “and then from four times a day throughout all that time, it became four times throughout this big timeframe.”
She acknowledged that her client had been accused of both digital and penile penetration.
“She’s alleging sexual touching and she’s alleging penetration,” McAuley said.
The Crown is seeking a sentence of four and a half years in prison, while McAuley argued for two years in jail, plus a year of probation.
Justice N.G. Gabrielson retired to consider his sentence. The court will reconvene on June 14.