Operation Red Nose campaign returns to Saskatchewan for eighth straight year
A familiar holiday safety campaign will begin a little earlier than usual this year, as Operation Red Nose officially kicks off its eighth season of operation in Saskatchewan.
The non-profit campaign, which provides free rides during the holiday season to cut down on impaired driving, is scheduled to start up two days earlier than it did in 2015.
Prince Albert Carlton MLA and Minister of Saskatchewan Government Insurance Joe Hargrave was on hand to officially launch the 2016 campaign on Tuesday. He said the program has been effective in the past, and hopes that extending it will generate more interest and awareness.
“What we’re hoping to get across today is the fact that it is the right thing to do, to plan a safe ride home,” Hargrave said.
Operation Red Nose operated in four Saskatchewan communities last year, providing more than 900 rides, 259 of which were in Prince Albert, between Nov. 27 and Dec. 31.
Hargrave said the program has been an extremely important tool for combatting impaired driving in Prince Albert, and credited local volunteers for taking the initiative and making it a success.
For more on this story, please read the Prince Albert Daily Herald’s subscription-based print or e-editions.